Monday, September 24, 2012

Gourd Sculpture Display

The head and arms are Apoxie Sculpt, gourd body is painted with acrylics, hair is string, basket is from Goodwill with the outside covered with air dry polymer clay.  I wove the fringe around the basket and painted the inside with acrylic paint.  She displays my bead crochet bracelets and necklaces.  
My inspiration was one of Retlaw Snellac's photos of a Turkana woman.  Turkana is the second largest pastoral community in Kenya.  I loved how her beadwork looked on her elongated neck.

3 comments:

coltpixy said...

Such a happy piece! Wonderful inspiration.

Barbara said...

How creative(!) and a delight to behold. It will provide an eye-catching display for your bead crochet pieces. That is, if your gourd girl doesn't steal them all. She looks as if she's giving them a discerning look to decide which ones to add to her neck. On that note, I can't help but wonder how the real Turkana woman's neck feels. It looks painful!

DVArtist said...

All I can say is WOW!!! I knew it was going to be awesome but this is beyond awesome!!
Nicole/Beadwright