Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Why?

I beaded the top section of a purchased paper mache' armature and then veneered the bottom section (which had been brushed with liquid polymer clay) with thin slices of a extruded polymer clay canes.  I made this piece for a polymer clay competition in 2010 (click HERE).  The extruded squares and circles represent the many stepping stones in a woman's life.  The paths that turn corners and go in circles.  Some cracked or broken completely; some smooth and beautiful.  I struggled with the "off" proportion of the beaded top and polymered bottom.  I made an extra piece for the bottom thinking I would be able to balance it out, make it work.  Then I realized, there is no making it work, it is what it is.  I made this piece during a friend's long and painful treatment for breast disease during which she would ask "Why?".  

4 comments:

DVArtist said...

It does work and it is suppose to be just what it is.
Hope your friend is healed now.
Nicole/Beadwright

Mar BisuterĂ­a said...

Bellisima pieza!!! y una historia muy bonita

Eva Maria Keiser said...

Fantastic piece and touching story.
Greetings,
-Eva Maria

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Marlene, I was fascinated by this statement piece, initially because of my love of anything related to sewing paraphernalia. Then your wonderful commentary provided an eye-opener for me. I regard your "proportion problem" as a metaphor for our journey as women, where circumstances are seldom in balance. Your reflection on your friend's struggle is moving and uplifting.