Friday, February 17, 2012

Colored Pencil on Polymer

After seeing Annie Pennington's beautiful brooch on Polymer Clay Daily (click HERE), I dug out my experiment with colored pencils I'd done a while ago. I took a photo of one of my paintings and downloaded it to my computer. I conditioned and rolled out my clay, picked the photo to print, loaded the transfer paper and printed a copy of my painting. I immediately transferred it to the polymer clay (below). I used the colored pencils to color the polymer. I scratched on it a little here and there to highlight some areas. I use a reverse magnifier to see my values, whether I'm painting, beading or sculpting with polymer clay. It's a handy little tool to have. The finished experiment (above). What I learned was not to use any enhanced clay (pearl, glitter, metallic, etc.); they don't like transfers. I had a mix of white and pearl leftover from a previous project and thought it might make an unusual transfer, but no, it didn't. I loved Annie Pennington's brooch and will give this another try using a strong white.

1 comment:

Elaine Akers said...

I really like this. I will have to add this to my to do list of things to try.
Thanks for sharing.