Friday, May 28, 2010

Bead Journal May

"And the day came when the risk to stay tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom." - Anais Nin
Taking risks is so scary. I have put off entering competitions or showing my work because without a formal art education, what chance does one have? Recently, I entered the Progress and Possibilities competition. I have wanted to enter for years. Such a simple thing--just to enter, and yet I was terrified. Fear of criticism, fear of rejection, fear of failure, just plain fear. Not knowing how to "size" the entry photo or word the description were just overwhelming. It felt so good just to do it!
Entering Robin Atkins' Bead Journal Project was a huge step. I wanted to combine polymer with beading, but was apprehensive. How would that go over? Then I found out the BJP was about expressing oneself through beads. The monthly project could be covered in beads or have only a few, as long as it had some beads, it could include other materials.
I love creating with polymer and being able to combine it with my beading has been a great bonus.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Your quote for this month... thank you, it's EXACTLY what I needed to hear, too. I'm right there with you on the fears and the whys.
Good for you entering!!

Lovely piece for the month, love the bead work you did on the outside, the inside fabric is just gorgeous, and the quote is just perfect. All around winner :)

Anonymous said...

Your piece is incredible, the most encrusted piece I think I've seen, and I love that look. It's beautiful!

Jody said...

Oh my goodness, I just love your BJP for this month, it is positively "gorgeous"..........makes me feel so "happy" the "colors" are rich & fun.
My dear your risk is not a risk but a "blessing" for you plus all of us who get to "enjoy"...........like a very luscious fruit it makes one feel ever so "good inside".
:-0)

a2susan said...

I think taking the risk you did let your bjp page just sing! The happiness and freedom that you found in overcoming a fear vibrates off your page. What a wonderful piece.

Susan

Robin said...

I LOVE this, Marlene!!!! I love the quote (never heard it before) and I love everything about your encrusted piece this month!!!! Beautiful, risky, exciting colors and texture as befitting Nin's saying. Your art makes me happy!

Robin A.