Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tory Hughes Workshop Part II

On the second day we took a look at Tory's hinges and how they are created and used as design components.
This one was my first attempt at a simple coil wrap in nickel silver.
Above photo is a close up of the Mokume Gane I made for the hinge workshop. Below is my first tube hinge.
I wet sanded and buffed the Mokume Gane pieces before adding the hinge. They turned out extremely smooth and shiny; almost like fossil stone.
What I like about adding hinges as components is the unexpected movement it gives a piece. The fact that they can be used in so many different ways is an extra bonus.

2 comments:

bbdyevr said...

Oh Mar!
Love these!
The shapes & colors give an oriental feel & a calming
effect...
So nice, and yer just starting off, can't wait to see what's next.

Kathy said...

Wow... this is all so cool! I have to make sure I save up for the next one!