Monday, February 8, 2010

Tory Hughes Workshop Part 1

Tory Hughes' workshop was wonderful! She had many of her beautiful pieces arranged on two tables so we could put them in our hands and examine them. The appliques, inlays, prebaked inlays, painted pieces, the embossed, molded, sculpted, carved and found object pieces. Pieces where she had perfected the photocopy and tearaway transfer techniques, clay body manipulation, metallic foils, powders, mokume gane and wire additions. Exquisite pieces.
They were heavenly to touch and examine up close. I mean, it was such a treat I can't put it into words. She graciously signed my book, "Polymer The Chameleon Clay, ArtRanch Techniques for Re-creating the Look of Ivory, Jade, Turquoise and other Natural Materials".
I brought wire, clay, paints, inks, stamps, texturing tools, powders and glitter. The first day we covered photocopy transfers and tearaway transfers and discussed many surface techniques.
My workspace at the workshop was spacious and comfortable. It started and 10:00 a.m. and went until 5:00 p.m. with an hour break for lunch. When I got home after the workshop, I made some mokume gane pieces for the hinge workshop the next day.
The hinge workshop was exactly what I needed to advance my jewelry construction. I've been wanting to connect pieces in a bit different way and this workshop was perfect.
The top two photos are one of my pieces I designed, textured and hinged. Appropriately titled," Growth". Part II tomorrow.

No comments: