Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chevron Cane

Tried my hand at Donna Kato's Chevron Cane published in the August 1995 Bead and Button magazine. As soon as I saw the polymer clay Chevron Cane Big Bead that won Bead Dreams in 2006, I remembered Donna Kato's 1995 Chevron Cane Bead. They both look the same to me except the Bead Dreams' bead is very large. I think it is so cool how something old can be new again.
I've been wanting to try it and finally did. I can now appreciate the challenge of making a "big bead". I can't even get a little bead put together yet.
My cane turned out OK. Happy with it and had fun as usual. But I am having a hard time getting the Chevron design on the side of a bead to turn out for me. Could it be because I missed one entire row of the cane? The final "white, blue, white" outline before the blue filler clay is missing (see first photo).
Seems to make the difference in how the chevron pattern comes out. Duh! Maybe if I would go to bed at a normal time and get back on my schedule, I wouldn't be making "tired" mistakes. So, starting today, that's my plan. I'm going to bed early tonight and getting up early on Wednesday to post my Bead Journal Project progress. Write it down, make it happen.

No comments: